Mahama Ouedraogo holds a PhD in plant breeding from Texas A&M University (USA).
- He is currently the Director of the department Human resources science and Technology (HRST), of the African Union Commission. In these capacities he oversees the implementation of various African Union decisions on Science and technology:
- The Science Technology and Innovation strategy for Africa (STISA-2024),
- The continental education strategy, and the flagship programs such as the Pan African University, the Pan African virtual University
- The African Outer Space Programme. For the past 6 years he has been contributing towards the African Space Policy and Strategy which were adopted by the African Head of States and Government in January 2016, and the current focus is on the development of the governance for the effective implementation of this continental space policy.
- Under his purview is the African Observatory for Science Technology and Innovation based in Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.
- Acting Director of the Semi-Arid Food Grain Research and Development
- Executive Secretary of the African Union Scientific Technical and Research Commission before heading the science and Technology division at the AUC.